Monday, April 28, 2014

POEM TITLE - IF I HAD A CHOICE...






If I had a choice,
I’ll choose America,
For its presumed ease and health
Or maybe the United Kingdom
For its bliss and wealth
Or maybe Paris or Singapore
Or I’ll just rather be born down south
In Johannesburg...


I wouldn’t mind been born in the
Crooks of the Eiffel tower
Or the walk way of the Buckingham Palace.
If before now I had a choice,
I won’t be Nigerian.

But then, I would have missed out on the
Opportunities to be called a Hero.
One who stood tall despite challenges which seemed taller,
Despite the challenges of been the colonized in the colonial era.
Despite the challenges of been the victim when the
White skin was referred to as been better.

Abraham Lincoln had an opportunity to rule a failing America,
Margret thatcher had an opportunity to change a fallen Britain,
Pa Nelson Mandela had a reason to fight for a cheated race,
Obafemi Awolowo had a chance to speak for a voiceless state.

They made good use these opportunities and they are forever heroes.

So rather than wish that I had a choice,
I’ll rather make a choice to make Nigeria my children’s preferred choice.

5 comments:

  1. WOW, I Love this, i really really love this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read this over and over again....love a short poem that carrys a whole of message....NICE.......I see technique

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very creative and inspirational, kudos to u.....

    ReplyDelete

COMMON LETS GET TALKING, PLEASE DO LEAVE A FEED BACK, WE'LL LOVE TO HEAR YOUR COMMENTS AND OPINION.
THANK YOU.